Check Spelling for South African Languages in MS Word 2013
Use Microsoft Word 2013’s Spelling Checker to check your Zulu, Xhosa, Northern Sotho, Tswana or Afrikaans documents.
1. Download and install Proofing Tools for your language.
2. Go to: FILE - Options - Language and check it’s been enabled.
Create a Custom Dictionary:
3. Now create a Custom Dictionary by going to: FILE - Options - Proofing - Custom Dictionaries.
4. Now click New and name your dictionary i.e. ZUL.dic.
5. Your dictionary will now appear under All Languages.
6. Change the dictionary language to your language i.e. isiZulu.
7. Click OK
Check Your Spelling:
8. Select all or the parts of your document in that are in Zulu, Xhosa, Northern Sotho, Tswana or Afrikaans and click the language in the lower left of MS Word.
9. Language options will appear. Make sure that "Do not check spelling or grammar" box is not ticked.
10. Scroll to your language i.e. isiZulu and double-click it.
11. Your document will now be spellchecked in the language you’ve chosen.
12. Any new words you add to your dictionary, you will never have to check again. Try adding some of the words you know to be correct but are underlined as spelling errors.
Editing Your Custom Dictionary.
13. You will also be able to share and edit the dictionary you build for your language. Go to: FILE - Options - Proofing - Custom Dictionaries.
14. Find and click your language i.e. isiZulu.
Let us know if you would like instructions for sharing your language’s dictionary with colleagues or friends.